Menstruation, also called periods, is a natural part of a woman's life. Periods never come alone. They are accompanied by discomfort and excruciating sensations. It represents the most arduous phase of a woman's life—more than one could imagine.
From intense cravings to period irregularities and critical health conditions, every phase is daunting, affecting the daily routine. The rigorous physical changes like bloating, cramps, breast tenderness, and headaches, which range from mild to severe, can be debilitating and excruciating. The emotional shifts like mood swings, sleeplessness, anxiety, irritability, and more, which are triggered by the hormonal changes, can all take a toll on mental well-being. It can be both overwhelming and isolating.
The other most terrifying fear during menstruation is period rash, a side effect every woman experiences. The skin irritation occurs through the friction between sanitary pads and the skin in the genital area. The culprit behind the dread period rash is disposable pads. Made of synthetic fibers, chemicals, and odors, disposable sanitary pads trap heat and moisture, leading to skin rashes and irritation. This growing irritation may add a harmful layer of discomfort and stress.
Fortunately, here come the best alternatives to disposable pads: organic and natural sanitary pads made of organic materials and completely devoid of chemicals and odor. The pads reduce the risk of developing period rash when in contact with the skin but ensure sustained freshness throughout the day.
Symptoms of Period Rash
- Redness and Inflammation — During menstruation, a disposable pad's hormonal changes and synthetic components trigger skin sensitivity, causing redness and patches. The severe itching makes it even more uncomfortable for you to move and becomes a prominent concern during periods.
- Itchiness and Discomfort — You may often experience intense itchiness in and around your intimate area, discomforting your daily routine. Scratching that area could further exacerbate it, which should be avoided.
- Pain and Burning Sensation — Along with the synthetic disposable pads, sweat, skin sensitivity, and friction often develop a sensation of pain and burning. However, it could be alleviated using the right natural sanitary pad or safe period cups, hygiene, and breathable fabrics.
- Swelling — Due to the menstrual hormonal changes, irritation and discomfort swell the skin around the intimate area and cause rashes. Incorporating proper hygiene practices, choosing a suitable pad or safe period cup, and applying cold compresses can help you reduce the swelling.
- Increased Sensitivity — Triggered by hormonal changes and intense irritation, if you notice skin sensitivity, it is a symbol of period rash. Usually, the nearby area gets affected and becomes tender and discomforting.
- Dry & Flaky Skin — The hormonal changes during periods create skin hydration and increased sensitivity, transforming the skin into dry and prone to irritation.
Treatments for Period Rash
- Natural Sanitary Pad — Sanitary pads made of cotton or any natural material are a treat for your skin, protecting you from period or pad rash. Repad offers a range of reusable sanitary pads that are naturally made, reducing the use of chemicals and odors. The pads are designed with multiple layers of protection, ensuring the highest absorbency and a moisture-free experience. It allows the air to pass freely, keeping them dry and free from irritations and infections.
- Proper Hydration — Proper hydration maintains the skin's moisture, keeping the intimate area dry and fresh. Also, hydrated skin is less prone to irritation and rashes.
- Gentle Cleaning — To maintain intimate hygiene, it is advisable to gently clean using mild and fragrance-free soaps during menstruation. It ensures that your skin is free from any rashes or itchiness.
- Moisturize Regularly — Apply fragrance-free hypoallergenic moisturizers to keep the skin rash-free and fresh during menstruation. Moisturizers even treat skin barriers or irritation, if any.
Period rashes, irritation, and itchiness are bothersome. But proper care and the right choice of organic pads and safe period cups can provide relief. Being a natural part of a woman's lifestyle, health issues should not be overlooked as they could affect reproductive health or well-being.
Repad's period care products ensure that you are in safe hands. Beyond providing the ultimate protection against period flows, be they light or heavy, Repad's products prioritize health and well-being, preventing skin from inviting germs and bacteria. Additionally, the products are naturally designed with the feature of reusability, which enables the reduction of disposable waste from landfills and contributes towards a greener future.